How should I wear and clean a fabric mask?
How to put on and wear a fabric mask:
- Before touching the mask, clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Inspect the mask for tears or holes, do not use a mask that is damaged.
- Adjust the mask to cover your mouth, nose, and chin, leaving no gaps on the sides.
- Place the straps behind your head or ears. Do not cross the straps because this can cause gaps on the side of your face.
- Avoid touching the mask while wearing it. If you touch it, clean your hands.
- Change your mask if it gets dirty or wet.
How to take off and store a fabric mask:
- Clean your hands before taking off the mask.
- Take off the mask by removing it from the ear loops, without touching the front of the mask.
- If your fabric mask is not dirty or wet and you plan to reuse it, put it in a clean plastic, resealable bag. If you need to use it again, hold the mask at the elastic loops when removing it from the bag. Clean your mask once a day.
- Clean your hands after removing the mask.
How to clean a fabric mask:
- Wash fabric masks in soap or detergent and preferably hot water (at least 60 degrees Centigrade/140 degrees Fahrenheit) at least once a day.
- If it is not possible to wash the mask in hot water, then wash it in soap/detergent and room temperature water, followed by boiling the mask for 1 minute.
- Make sure to clean your hands before touching your mask.
- Make sure you have your own mask and do not share it with others.
- Resist the temptation to pull down your mask to your chin or take if off when speaking to other people.
- Do not store your mask around your arm or wrist or pull it down to rest around your chin or neck. Instead, store it in a clean plastic bag.
Watch our ‘How to wear a fabric mask’ video for a demonstration.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Maskshttps://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-masks